Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Stephen Hawking's question: How can the human race survive the next hundred years?

I thought I'd share my answer to Stephen Hawking's question as posed here:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20060704195516AAnrdOD

As I attempt to answer this question, I first looked at other's inputs and I was amazed at some of the naivety in the answers.

For those who say "get rid of war". Great! How? Outlaw it? Murder is already against the law but it has not be obliterated.

For those who say we ought to unite and love one another... that's great too but how?

For those who say we ought to move to another planet because of global warming, I'm not convinced in light of the fact that scientific evidence exists to support the notion that the earth has experienced repeated periods of global warming and cooling. Since we are here, we know that such periods aren't a significant threat to mankind.

Some are saying that technology is the answer, but Einstein didn't see it this way when his scientific theories were used to produce the atom bomb:

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

The obliteration of war, poverty, murder and the use of technology for good, can only be changed if the world buys into a worldview that cultivates love to mankind, tempered with self-control and discipline. Such a worldview would have to motivate with incentive over deterrence and have to be convincing enough for us to not justify alternatives in order to hold on to our indulgences.

I see such a worldview in the teachings of Christ and believe that only He can save the world.

Mr Hawking, instead of advising that we move to the heavens, I advocate, like my savior, that the heavens move into our hearts.

No comments: