Sunday, February 10, 2008

Balancing a Unicycle


I'm a unicyclist. Whenever I find myself falling forward, I can correct myself by pedaling forward faster. This seems counter-intuitive. If I don't want to fall forward, why would I pedal forward faster?

Balance, perfection even, is gained through paradoxical methods. If one travels east on this round ball of earth far enough, one will find that he's arrived at a destination west of his origin.

If we seek to gain our life, we will lose it. If we lose it, for Christ's sake, we will find it.

A second thing that the unicycle has taught me. I cannot control the seat. It is free to move forward and backwards. This is scary! But I can completely control the wheel. Unlike a bicycle, I can pedal that wheel backwards and stop it on a dime just by stopping my pedaling.

I can use this control over the wheel to completely guide the seat. THIS is why when I feel that seat moving forward, pedaling forward faster will correct the imbalance.

Coach Lou Holtz once said, "Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Don't worry about the things you can't control. Worry about the things you CAN control. They are the gifts of life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"If one travels east on this round ball of earth far enough, one will find that he's now going west."

Ummm, this is neither logical or true. Think about it for a moment. Get any globe and trace a path in any eastern-going direction, whether it's due east, northeast, southeast, etc. At not time will your direction become westerly if you continue in a straight line. Have a nice day.